Monday, September 24, 2012

A Review: Revlon Colorstay Smoky Shadow Stick in Atomic





So today I'm going to be doing a review of the Revlon Colorstay Smoky Shadow Stick in the shade Atomic. It features a gold colour and an olive green darker colour. I bought this mainly for the gold colour but I actually regret buying this now.

First of all, I find the pigmentation to be average. The darker colour is more pigmented than the lighter one, which does show up too much on the eyes and looks more like some golden shimmer than really bothers me. 

Secondly, I feel that generally stick eyeshadow bases just don't work as effectively as cream shadows. I initially thought I would like this because it is more hygienic in a sense and you don't have to use your fingers but stick eyeshadow bases just aren't as creamy as cream bases. I know that sounds kind of obvious but it's just honestly kind of painful to have to drag the stick over the eyelid over and over for more pigmentation. Although, I do have to mention that I personally feel that the NYX Jumbo Eye Pencils are an exception because it's just so creamy!

I also just find this product quite difficult to work with, the gold doesn't show up much and you don't want to put the dark colour over the whole eyelid if you're looking for a natural look and blending out is a pain as it's a little annoying to blend, I feel that it takes a bit of effort.

On the bright side, it does stay on quite well, although I need an eye primer. However, I need an eye primer with every eyeshadow and cream shadow and this product stayed on and didn't crease a lot longer than some other bases without a primer. 

Swatches
This is how it looks on my eyes. I blended the darker colour our a lot on the outer corner because I found that the two colours didn't look thaaaaaat great together. Also, I put the gold one on my lid A LOT and it looks like it barely comes up.





And then the bad news:
MINE WAS BROKEN! I'm pretty sure it was broken before I bought it because when I was looking at it it seemed really close to the lid, even touching it but I never thought much of it. This happened when I was twisting up the darker colour and it seemed a little reluctant in retracting back and it felt a little loose, then I just tipped it over a tiny bit and didn't exert any extra effort and it just fell out! That is just so frustrating, and it also shows that you definitely don't get that much product, especially compared to cream shadows in a pot.

 

And this is again a downside of stick shadow bases that are retractable in that they could easily break,

So that was my review, I hope it helped somehow and I was not sent this for reviewing and I paid for it with my own money.

No comments:

Post a Comment